QQI Care Skills course
- Course Fee: €395 Special Offer €295
- Certification Fee: €60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care Skills (5N2770)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This distance learning, QQI accredited Care Skills course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This module is aimed at providing learners with knowledge and skills necessary to identify care needs, provide quality care that promotes dignity and respect and to assist others with their personal hygiene and the use of care equipment, tools and aids.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Care Skills course?
- Healthcare workers, care assistants, family carers or people who wish to gain an accredited qualification in Care Skills and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Applicants who are not currently in employment in a registered healthcare setting will be required to have access to a registered healthcare setting or home care setting, where a suitable manager / supervisor is able to observe them carrying out a range of care skills including cleaning mobility equipment and safely disposing of linen (please contact the Student Support Team for further details).
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Care Skills course
Unit 1: Understanding care needs
- Types of people with care needs
- Physiological, safety, social and emotional needs of people receiving care
- Principles and values of care
- National Standards for care
Unit 2: Intimate care
- Intimate care
- Help with eating/drinking
- Oral care
- Skin care
- Dressing and undressing
- Helping someone to use the toilet
- Bathing or showering
- Cleaning and safe handling of linen
Unit 3: Hygiene and safe use of care equipment
- Hand hygiene
- Giving assistance using tools and aids
- Preparing for bed
- How to move and transfer someone
- How to measure temperature
- How to measure a pulse
- Cleaning equipment
- This Care Skills course is assessed through completion of an Assignment and a work-based Skills Demonstration, this will require the learner to complete a task or series of tasks that demonstrate a range of skills.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Care Skills course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care Skills (5N2770) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details