QQI Special Needs Assistant course (updated Jan 2021)
- Course Fee:
€395Special Offer reduced to €295
- Certification Fee: Eur60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Special Needs Assisting (6N1957).
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI.
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year.
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This tutor-supported eLearning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study this Special Needs Assistant course flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
The aim of this Special Needs Assistant course is to enable learners to build the skills, knowledge and competencies required to assist children with special needs. The programme will ensure that learners: (1) understand the role of the SNA, the difference between Integration and Inclusion and legislation relating to SNA in Ireland, (2) can understand and apply theories and curriculum models which relate to SNA; interventions, assistance and supports; behaviour management and learning opportunities in order to promote independence and responsibility, (3) understand Individual Educational Plans, their role, and the importance of the Multi-disciplinary team in devising Individual Education Plans, and (4) can identify and apply skills required to implement Special Needs curriculum; and strategies for dealing with Stressors within the workplace.
By choosing to study this Special Needs Assistant course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this course?
- Those who wish to pursue a career as a Special Needs Assistant / SNA in a childcare provider, primary school or secondary school.
- Teachers, Childcare workers/supervisors and others who work with children with Special Needs.
- People who wish to gain an accredited qualification and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Level 5 Certificate / Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) or relevant life experience detailed in a current Curriculum Vitae. Please provide details and attach a copy of either a current CV or Certificate.
- As at 27/1/21, work experience is no longer a requirement to complete this course.
- As this NFQ level 6 qualification is delivered through English it is necessary learners will have sufficient written English skills to complete this course.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Special Needs Assistant course
Unit 1: Introduction to SNA
- What is Special Needs Assisting?
- Types of special education needs
- The difference between integration and inclusion
- Current legislation relating to special needs
- Educational options for people with special educational needs
Unit 2: SNA curriculum and interventions
- Theories and curriculum models
- Interventions, aids and supports
- Behaviour management
- Learning opportunities in order to promote independence and responsibility
Unit 3: Individual Educational Plans
- Individual Educational Plans
- Examples of IEPs
- The importance of the multi-disciplinary team in devising individual education plans
Unit 4: Personal skill development
- Skills required to implement special needs curriculum
- Strategies for dealing with stressors within the workplace
- This Special Needs Assistant course is assessed through completion of two assessments.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Special Needs Assistant course leads to a Level 6 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this level 6 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 6 Early Childhood Care and Education (6M2007). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Special Needs Assisting (6N1957).
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details
Student Reviews of this Course