QQI Medical Terminology and Administration
- Course Fee: €395 Special Offer €295
- Certification Fee: €60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 5 course QQI component Medical Terminology certificate (5N2428).
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This programme is designed for people who wish to gain a recognised qualification as a Medical Administrator. The course is designed for existing Medical Administrators, Medical Receptionists or Healthcare Admin roles, or for those who wish to pursue a career in these areas. No prior knowledge is required. Students will learn how to: (1) use and understand medical terminology, (2) understand relevant legislation, (3) manage healthcare records, (4) create healthcare records, (5) administer a medical office environment, and (6) prepare medical reports. The course is ideal for all those working in administration or customer service roles within Private Consultant clinics, Hospitals, Doctor or Dentist surgeries, and private Health Clinics.
Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. You complete the course by undertaking activities and assignments. Our student support team are also available for any other queries that you may have whilst completing your course. You can be assured that support is available for your course, so there is no need to struggle or feel isolated during your studies.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Medical Secretary course?
- Administrators within the healthcare sector.
- Customer service personnel within the healthcare sector.
- Office and admin staff within Private Consultant clinics, Hospitals, Doctor or Dentist surgeries, and private Health Clinics.
- Medical Administrators who wish to gain a nationally accredited qualification.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Level 4 Certificate or Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) or relevant life/work experience.
- As this NFQ level 5 qualification is delivered through English it is necessary learners will have sufficient written English skills to complete this course.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Medical Secretary course
Unit 1: Medical Terminology
- Medical terminology
- Constructing medical terms
- Prefixes, root words and suffixes
- Common abbreviations
- Specialist medical terminology
- Other medical terms
Unit 2: Legislation and Information Sources
- Relevant legislation
- Health and safety
- Confidentiality and ethics
- HSE patient charter
- Information sources
Unit 3: Healthcare Reports
- Healthcare records
- Creating and managing healthcare records
- Patient care guidelines
- Communication skills
- Reception skills
- Case notes
- Medical reports and referrals
- The course is assessed through completion of a written Assignments and a Skills Demonstration (which involves case studies and completion of a Medical Report).
- As part of our quality assurance, assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This course leads to a level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Learners who complete this programme may use it as a credit towards the Level 5 Major Award in Office Administration (5M1997). This component may also be used as a credit towards relevant level 5 and level 6 Major awards.
- Following successful completion of this course, you will receive a QQI Level 5 Award in Medical Terminology (5N2428)
- QQI is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details