QQI Mental Health Awareness
- Course Fee: €395
- Certification Fee: €60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 6 component certificate in Mental Health Awareness (6N2209)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace, and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This distance learning, QQI Mental Health Awareness course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This fully recognised qualification is designed for a broad spectrum of health care workers who would benefit from a greater understanding of Mental Health. This course covers topics such as stress, phobias, anxiety, eating disorders, and schizophrenia among others – all conditions under the topic of mental health. Whether you are an experienced mental health care worker or new to the industry caring for clients or patients in a work environment, we believe that this learning programme will assist you with your personal development.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this QQI Mental Health Awareness course?
- Health care workers, mental health carers, social care workers, those working with people with intellectual disabilities, day centre workers, and those working in sheltered workshops, resource centres, sheltered housing, and rehabilitation training programmes. Other roles who would benefit from this course include Youth workers, Gardai, Nurses, Prison officers, Teachers, and HR Professionals.
- People who wish to gain a professional qualification in the subject matter by home study distance learning.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Level 5 Certificate / Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) or relevant life experience detailed in a current Curriculum Vitae. Please provide details and attach a copy of either a current CV or Certificate.
- As this NFQ level 6 qualification is delivered through English it is necessary learners will have sufficient written English skills to complete this course.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this QQI Mental Health Awareness course
Unit 1 – What is mental health?
- Issues pertinent to each individual’s Mental Health
- How the mind and body interact to promote positive Mental Health
- Strategies to maintain positive mental health
- Barriers to positive mental health
- Positive support in the community
Unit 2 – Realities of mental illness
- The historical context and myths associated with mental health
- The major classification of mental illnesses
- The various models used in understanding mental illness
- The impact of mental illness on the person and society
- The symptoms and characteristics of mental illness
- Issues associated with mental illness
Unit 3 – Intervention and treatment approaches
- Treatment approaches
- Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Psychological therapies
- Other Therapies
- Assessment of each modality
- The role of mental health professionals
- Interventions available in the community
Unit 4 – Recovery and advocacy
- The features of recovery
- The recovery process
- The recovery movement in Ireland
- Key issues relating to current legislation
- This award is assessed through a series of assessments, which are submitted by the student. This includes a Learner Record, and a Project.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression of Further Studies
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this level 6 component certificate as credit towards QQI Advanced Certificates including Social and Vocational Integration (6M2218) and Inclusive Education and Training (6M2263). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 6 component certificate in Mental Health Awareness (6N2209).
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details