QQI Care of the Older Person
- Course Fee: €455 (total cost including all fees)
- QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care of the Older Person (5N2706)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This distance learning, QQI accredited Care of the Older Person course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This course is designed to provide the learner with an understanding of care of the older person and to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to meet the full range of needs of older people in a variety of care settings. The module is designed to help learners develop new ideas and competence, which can be utilised in their workplace, and in their interactions with people they work with.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Care of the Older Person course?
- Healthcare workers, care assistants, or family carers or people who wish to gain an accredited qualification in Care of the Older Person and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Applicants who are not currently in employment in a registered healthcare setting must be able to complete a care needs assessment for a person receiving care. (please contact the Student Support Team for further details).
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Care of the Older Person course
Unit 1: The needs of older people
- Issues facing aging and older people in Ireland
- Attitudes towards ageing
- Physiological, safety, social, and emotional needs of people receiving care
- Principles and values of care
- National Standards for care
- Care planning
Unit 2: Working in healthcare
- The health service in Ireland
- Role of the healthcare assistant
- Roles within the multidisciplinary team in healthcare
- Advocacy for older people
- Safeguarding Vulnerable adults
Unit 3: Learning, language, intelligence and morality
- Dementia and cognitive impairment in older persons
- Caring for people with dementia and cognitive impairment
- Physical needs of older persons
- Adapting care for physical needs
- Palliative care
- Providing palliative care
- This Care of the Older Person course is assessed through completion of a project and a work-based skills demonstration. Part of the skills demonstration requires a report which is based on leaners experience working with an older person with a mental illness, dementia or a chronic illness.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Care of the Older Person course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care of the Older Person (5N2706) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details