QQI Intellectual Disability Studies course
- Course Fee: €395
- Certification Fee: €60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 5 component certificate in Intellectual Disability Studies (5N1652)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This distance learning, QQI accredited Intellectual Disability Studies course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This QQI Intellectual Disability module is aimed at providing learners with the knowledge and skills needed to understand the cause, range and effects of intellectual disabilities, the models of support for those with intellectual disabilities and professionals involved in providing care to a person with intellectual disabilities.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments for this QQI Intellectual Disability course online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Intellectual Disability Studies course?
- Healthcare workers, care assistants, those who work with people with intellectual disabilities or people who wish to gain knowledge and a professional, accredited qualification in the subject matter and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Intellectual Disability Studies course
Unit 1: Understanding and diagnosing intellectual disability
- Defining intellectual disability
- Terms and language
- Causes of intellectual disability
- The cognitive, social, physical, and spiritual needs
- Assessing whether someone has an intellectual disability
Unit 2: History and attitudes towards intellectual disability
- Historical attitudes towards intellectual disability
- Attitudes in Ireland towards intellectual disability
- History of intellectual disability services in Ireland
- Models of care
Unit 3: Delivering care and promoting positive attitudes
- Best practice in care provision
- Effects of caring for others
- Delivering care
- Promoting positive attitudes
- This QQI Intellectual Disability Studies course is assessed through completion of two assignments and an online theory-based examination. The assessment for this module aims to evaluate understanding of course theory as well as practical activities.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This QQI Intellectual Disability Studies course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Intellectual Disability Studies (5N1652) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details