- Course Fee: Eur395
- Certification Fee: Eur60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by ABC Awards
- Students have 6 months to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This Social Care Course is designed to provide an understanding of the role of a carer and is aimed at people caring in the home setting as well as those entering social care on a professional basis. No prior qualification is required and the course is suited to people of all ages seeking to gain a more formal understanding of the principles of caring for others in a range of setting. The objectives of the course are: (1) to develop the student’s knowledge and understanding of the role and skills of caring, (2) to explain the role of government and other agencies in providing and funding care, (3) to create an understanding of the health and safety aspects of care, and (4) to create an understanding of the principles of equality in providing care.
Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. You complete the course by undertaking activities and assignments. Our student support team are also available for any other queries that you may have whilst completing your course. You can be assured that support is available for your course, so there is no need to struggle or feel isolated during your studies.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Social Care Course?
- People considering a people-centred career such as a carer, healthcare worker, and those considering a career in social work, counselling, teaching, or communications.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- No previous experience or qualifications are necessary to commence the course.
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be
directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- Basic working knowledge of computers and access to a computer with internet access is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Social Care Course
Unit 1: Introduction to the role of the carer
- Care in the home and community
- Who needs care (and why)?
- Daily living, a carer’s role
Unit 2: Carers – the role of the Government
- The role of the government in supporting informal carers
- Carer’s benefits
- Other benefits
- Support services
- The Government’s role in the protection of vulnerable groups in society
Unit 3: Health and safety in care environments
- The importance of health and safety management
- Health and safety considerations
- Health and safety statements and policies
- Hazard identification
Unit 4: Valuing people’s equality, diversity, and rights
- Valuing people’s equality, diversity and rights
- Understanding diversity
- UN Rights of the Child
- Equality Legislation
Unit 5: Basic care skills
- Basic care skills
- Communication and information
- Respecting wishes and feelings
- Ensuring safety
- Promoting independence
- Rest and sleep
- Ensuring comfort and alleviating pain
- Personal hygiene, appearance and foot care
- Eating and drinking
- This course is assessed through a series of tutor-marked assignments. There is no exam for this course.
- Internet connection – a speed of at least 10Mbps.
- Browser – we recommend Chrome or Safari for Tablet or Apple Mac; and Firefox or Chrome for PCs.
- Operating System – PC (Windows 7 or later), Mac or Android.
- At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course). The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner. The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards and Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process. ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high-quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
- An ABC Awards Level 2 is roughly equivalent to a Level 4 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for Accreditation Details