QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support
- Course Fee: €995 or pay €101 over 12 months (call for details 01-2865783)
- Certification Fee: €120 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support (5M4339)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Students have 12 months to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
CMIT is offering learners an opportunity to pursue the QQI Healthcare Support (Level 5 Major Award). This major award meets the educational requirements as set out by both public and private sector healthcare facilities. The course has been designed to equip learners with the recognised qualification within a 12-month duration. Upon the completion of this course learners will have gained the practical and theoretical skills needed to work safely and effectively as a healthcare assistant in a variety of healthcare settings with a strong focus on individual and person-centred care. In a climate where time is precious, CMIT is offering an innovative approach to learning. The CMIT eLearning system enables learners to work at their own pace while being fully supported by a qualified Tutor.
There is a qualified Healthcare Tutor assigned to all learners to provide guidance and assistance throughout the course and written personalised feedback is provided on all assessment work.
By choosing to complete the major award in healthcare with CMIT, learners have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes comprehensive Course Manuals, Live Webinars, Videos, Quizzes, and personalised Tutor Support. The course is user-friendly and easy to follow. Learners will also be able to upload assessments online and receive Tutor feedback. The eLearning system can be used from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this QQI Healthcare Support course?
- The programme is aimed at learners who wish to gain an accredited qualification in healthcare.
- The programme has been developed to facilitate those with no previous healthcare knowledge as well as those who may have some professional or personal experience providing care.
- Those who wish to pursue a career as a Healthcare Assistant working in areas such as a hospital, nursing home or homecare setting.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Applicants who are not currently in employment in a registered healthcare setting will be required to secure work experience in the healthcare sector for a minimum of 6 hours per week for the duration of the course (please contact the Student Support Team for further details). Those who do not have work experience in place will be required to complete a course suitability interview.
- Learners will be required to participate in live online classes/webinars.
- Some assessments require completion of work, which must be evaluated by a suitably qualified supervisor or manager.
- Learners will be required to successfully complete Garda Vetting prior to commencing work experience in a registered healthcare setting. Please contact the college if you require assistance in completing Garda Vetting.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Basic working knowledge of computers and access to a computer with internet access is required to do the course. For technical requirements click here>>
- As this NFQ qualification is delivered through English it is necessary learners will have sufficient written English skills to complete this course. Learners for whom English is not a first language will be required to provide evidence of meeting a minimum English language and literacy competency of B2 in writing, reading, listening and speaking on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL).
- Learners entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 will usually be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing, and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information. Full details are available here>>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this QQI Healthcare Support course
Component 1: Care Support
- Care Planning
- Working in healthcare
- Personal Development
Component 2: Care of the Older Person
- The needs of older people
- Working in healthcare
- Care of the older person in specific situations
Component 3: Work Experience
- Preparing for work experience
- Learning goals
- Work experience diary and review
- Career planning
Component 4: Care Skills
- Understanding care needs
- Intimate Care
- Safe use of care equipment
Component 5: Safety and Health at Work
- The importance of health and safety
- Health and safety planning
- Hazard identification
- Health and Safety Practice
Component 6: Teamworking
- Team Development
- Managing team performance
Component 7: Infection Prevention and Control
- Understanding Infection
- Planning infection prevention and control
- Implementing standard precautions
Component 8: Care Provision and Practise
- Understanding care needs
- The role of the care worker
- Care provision
- The programme is assessed through completion of written assignments and practical skills demonstrations (which involves attending one onsite exam centre day). All work submitted must be your own work.
- As part of our quality assurance, assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This course leads to a level 5 Major Award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Learners who complete this programme of study may progress to relevant level 6 courses on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- More information on progression opportunities can be found on the CAO website here and on the QQI website here.
- Information on the progression to careers in nursing can be found here.
- It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a qualifying QQI Level 5 award, please contact us with your details, and we will advise you of available exemptions.
Protection for Enrolled Learners
- As this course is of 3 months duration or longer, learners who enrol on this course are protected under the Qualifications And Quality Assurance (Education And Training) Act 2012.
- CMIT has approval to offer students learner protection insurance. Learner Protection insurance is only in place when each student receives their Insurance Policy. Each learner should ensure that they receive a Learner Protection Insurance Policy in their name. Learner Protection insurance is provided by Arachas and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC. The learner protection policy provides for a refund of fees as specified in the 2012 Act. In some circumstances, it may be possible for a learner to transfer to a similar programme in another provider. In such circumstances, the learner may opt to receive the cost of an alternative similar academic programme. Transfer to another programme is always only a second option. The learner protection insurance policy is governed by s. 65(4)(b) of the 2012 Act.’
- More information.
- Following successful completion of all required modules, you will receive a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support (5M4339).
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details