QQI Care Skills and QQI Care of the Older Person (bundle)
- Course Fee: €495
- Certification Fee: €60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care Skills (5N2770) and QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care of the Older Person (5N2706)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This distance learning, QQI Care Skills and QQI Care of the Older Person course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
These courses are designed to provide the learner with an understanding of care skills and care of the older person. These courses aim to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to identify care needs, provide quality care that promotes dignity and respect and to assist others with their personal hygiene and the use of care equipment, tools and aids and to meet the full range of needs of older people in a variety of care settings. The course is designed to help learners develop new ideas and competence, which can be utilised in their workplace, and in their interactions with people they work with.
By choosing to study with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments for this QQI Care Skills and QQI Care of the Older Person online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this QQI Care Skills and QQI Care of the Older Person course?
- Those who wish to pursue a career as a homecare assistant or community care worker.
- People who wish to gain an accredited qualification in this area and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Applicants who are not currently in employment in a registered healthcare setting will be required to undertake 20 hours work experience in a registered healthcare setting (please contact the Student Support Team for further details).
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Part 1 – QQI Care Skills (5N2770)
Unit 1: Understanding care needs
- Types of people with care needs
- Physiological, safety, social and emotional needs of people receiving care
- Principles and values of care
- National Standards For Care
Unit 2: Intimate care
- Intimate care
- Help with eating/drinking
- Oral care
- Skin care
- Dressing and undressing
- Helping someone to use the toilet
- Bathing or showering
- Cleaning and safe handling of linen
Unit 3: Hygiene and safe use of care equipment
- Hand hygiene
- Giving assistance using tools and aids
- Preparing for bed
- How to move and transfer someone
- How to measure temperature
- How to measure a pulse
- Cleaning equipment
Part 2 – Care of the Older Person (5N2706)
Unit 1: The needs of older people
- Issues facing aging and older people in Ireland
- Attitudes towards ageing
- Physiological, safety, social, and emotional needs of people receiving care
- Principles and values of care
- National Standards for care
- Care planning
Unit 2: Working in healthcare
- The health service in Ireland
- Role of the healthcare assistant
- Roles within the multidisciplinary team in healthcare
- Advocacy for older people
- Safeguarding Vulnerable adults
Unit 3: Learning, language, intelligence and morality
- Dementia and cognitive impairment in older persons
- Caring for people with dementia and cognitive impairment
- Physical needs of older persons
- Adapting care for physical needs
- Palliative care
- Providing palliative care
- This Care Skills course is assessed through completion of an assignment and a work-based skills demonstration, this will require the learner to complete a task or series of tasks that demonstrate a range of skills.
- This Care of the Older Person course is assessed through completion of a project and a work-based skills demonstration. Part of the skills demonstration requires a report which is based on leaners experience working with an older person with a mental illness, dementia or a chronic illness.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- The successful completion of Care Skills leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- The successful completion of Care of the Older Person leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete these programmes may use these level 5 component certificates as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Care Skills (5N2770) and Care of the Older Person (5N2706) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details