150k New Digital Jobs to be created in Ireland.

App Developer courses CMIT Courses Distance learning Ireland

150K new digital jobs are expected to be created over the next 2-3 years. Despite significant graduate supply and a number of job seekers with IT skills (many of whom, given the comparatively high turnover estimates, are likely to be only in frictional unemployment), shortages of IT skills continue to exist. IT skills are in demand across all economic sectors. Furthermore, the situation is not unique to Ireland as there is a shortage of IT skills internationally. Shortages of the following new digital jobs have been identified:

  • Programming and software development: programming languages (Java, .net, C++, Python, PHP, Scala, AKKA, Ruby on Rails, VBA); operating systems (iOS, Linux); mobile applications development; web development (CSS, HTML)
  • Cloud computing: MS Azure, AWS (amazon web services), cloud architect
  • InfoSec (IT security): IoT (internet of things), BYOD (bring your own device), data/information security; IT internal audit
  • Web design particularly web related applications focusing on enhancing users’ online experience (UX) and supporting user interaction (UI)
  • DevOps engineering (developing/testing, process re-engineering and communication skills
  • IT project management
  • Networking and infrastructure: networking engineer
  • IT business analysis: business intelligence and search engine optimisation
  • Database administration (DBA), big data analytics, data architecture (ETL41)
Growth in the Digital Economy

According to the Virgin Digital Insights report (2016) the digital economy is now worth about 6% of Ireland’s GDP and is predicted to grow steadily over the rest of the decade. 94% of Irish internet users now shop online with average adult online spending per month rising by 13% since 2014, from €71 to €80 per month per person. Overall consumer spending grew by just 9% over the same period. The share of Irish consumer spending accounted for by the digital economy is expected to grow from 7.7% in 2016 to 12.4% by 2021.

Reskilling Opportunities

CMIT has a number of  relevant courses which opportunities offer upskill and reskill opportunities in this area.