The new Childcare Legislation (2016) requires all childcare workers to hold a minimum of a Level 5 Major Award in Childcare before they are allowed to work in a registered childcare setting. However, from September 2016 in ECCE services, subsidies will only be paid for individual ECCE Sessions where the ECCE Room leader holds at least a Level 6 Major Childcare Award.
In short, if you need to complete a Major Award in Childcare, we recommend the following:
- Start with the Level 6 Major Award in Childcare, if you hold a Leaving Cert or any Level 5 Major Award Childcare course.
- Start with the Level 5 Major Award in Childcare, if you do not hold a Leaving Cert or any Level 5 Major Award. Once you complete the Level 5 Major Award in Childcare you may then progress to Level 6 Childcare courses.
Benefits of completing the Level 6 Childcare courses
- You need to hold at least a level 6 Major Award (or equivalent) in Childcare in order to be a Room Leader and benefit from ECCE subsidies.
- The level 6 Major Award syllabus is more advanced and of more benefit to you, and your workplace.
- You can bypass the Level 5 Major Award and commence the Level 6 Major Award in Childcare course if you hold a Leaving Cert or any Level 5 Major Award.
- Following completion of the Level 6 Major Award in childcare, you can progress to a higher level course in a University or Institute of Technology.
Benefits of CMIT Level 6 Childcare courses by eLearning
- Complete the course in your own time, and at your own pace.
- Attend online classes, every Thursday evening, instead of having to travel to classes.
- CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland, which is recognised by Government and Employers.
- Get one-to-one support from your Tutor and personalised feedback on your progress
- Learn anywhere, anytime. You have 24×7 online access to your course.
The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs wrote to all early years’ service providers in January 2016 advising them to ensure that all of their staff members working directly with children were fully aware of the fact that the new Child Care Regulations require all such staff to hold a minimum qualification of Level 5 or equivalent by 31st December 2016, and to advise that any unqualified staff members should commence a Childcare course as soon as possible. There are two types of capitation available depending on the Room Leader’s qualification: (1) Room Leader with a QQI Level 6 qualification: €64.50 per week per child, or (2) Room Leader with a QQI Level 7 and upwards qualification: €75.00 per week per child.