QQI Social Studies course
- Course Fee:
Eur395Special Offer Eur295
- Certification Fee: Eur60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 5 component certificate in Social Studies (5N1370)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Learners have 12 weeks to complete the course. Learners work at their own pace and may commence at any time of year.
- Click here to Enrol in this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
The overall aim of this social studies course is to equip learners with knowledge and competence in social studies with a focus on employment in a social care setting. The module is designed for those wishing to gain an understanding of sociology and social studies and develop awareness of social issues in their own environment, both professionally and societally. The module aims to provide a current overview of social studies as a subject and also as it applies to society in Ireland today. The programme will also equip learners with research skills enabling them to develop their understanding relevant social issues. The Programme covers:
- An introduction to social studies and sociological theories.
- The concepts of socialisation and social stratification.
- Key themes in social studies: Culture, Gender, Religion, Race/ethnicity, Discrimination in Irish society, Family, and Globalisation.
- An overview of Primary and Secondary research techniques.
- The role of qualitative and quantitative research and techniques for conducting both.
- Reporting findings and drawing conclusions from research activities.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification. This course is designed for those working in not-for-profit organisations, social startups, health sector, charities and public sector.
By choosing to study this social studies course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this course?
- Those interested in persuing employment in social care and social work.
- Social workers and individuals in administration roles within education, healthcare or social care environments.
- People who wish to gain a professional, accredited qualification in the subject matter by home study distance learning.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Level 4 Certificate / Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) or relevant life or work experience.
- You will be required to conduct a small focus group (minimum 3 people) as part of your research for this course.
- As this NFQ level 5 social studies course is delivered through English it is necessary learners will have sufficient written English skills to complete this course.
- A basic working knowledge of computers and access to a computer with internet access is required to do the course.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this social studies course
1. Introduction to social studies
- What is social studies?
- Sociological theories
- Social stratification
2. Key themes in social studies
- Discrimination in Irish society
3. Collecting data and drawing conclusions
- Secondary research
- Primary research
- Quantitative research
- Qualitative research
- Reporting findings and conclusions
- This social studies course is assessed through completion of a Project and an examination. The exam will take place in a CMIT exam centre, Contact the college for details.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This social studies course leads to a level 5 minor award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this level 5 minor component as credit towards a number of major awards at level 5 including 5M2181 Applied Social Studies; 5M4339 Healthcare Support; and as credit towards a relevant level 6 major award.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Social Studies (5N1370).
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details