Drug and Alcohol Counselling
- Course Fee: Eur395
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by ABC Awards
- Students have 6 months to work at their own pace, and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This programme is designed for people who wish to gain an awareness of drug and alcohol misuse and practice methods of counselling clients who misuse substances. The objectives of the course are to enable learners to: (1) obtain a better understanding about drugs and alcohol misuse, (2) obtain knowledge about the different types of drugs available and their side effects and use, (3) obtain a better understanding why people take drugs, (4) gain a better understanding about why people use Alcohol, (5) find out what treatment is available in your area and how to access it, (6) find out how to set up a drug or alcohol abuse treatment programme in your area, and to (7) understand the principles of drug and alcohol misuse counselling.
Students receive a course manual, assignments and studyguide plus Tutor support. The course documentation for this ABC Awards accredited course is detailed and easy to read. Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. Our student support team are also available for any other queries that you may have whilst completing your course. You can be assured that support is available for your course, so there is no need to struggle or feel isolated during your studies.
Who should complete this course?
- People considering a career in Counselling.
- Parents, Teachers and Youth workers.
- People who wish to gain an introductory qualification in Drug and Alcohol Counselling and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Course
Unit 1: Introduction
- General introduction
- Understanding Social use from Substance Abuse, Alcoholism and Addiction
- Social Drinking and Drug Abuse
- Alcoholism and Drug Addiction
- Alcohol and Drug Use Management
- Information on Drugs imports in the European Union
Unit 2: The A-Z of drugs – effects, risks and the law
- The effects of drugs
- The risks associated with drugs
- The law relating to drugs
Unit 3: Alcohol Abuse
- Binge Drinking
- The effect of Alcohol on the Human Body
- Alcohol and Crime
Unit 4: Why People use Drugs and Alcohol
- Attitudes About Drugs
- Drug Prevention and Awareness
Unit 5: Drug and Alcohol Prevention and Awareness
- Drug and Alcohol Prevention Programmes
Unit 6: The Basics of Counselling
- What is counselling
- Who is a Counsellor
- When is a Counsellor not ready to Council
- Who needs counselling
- Ten Steps to Counselling
- Guidelines for good practice and care
Unit 7: Traditional Counselling Styles
- What are the different types of Traditional Counselling
- What Counselling
- Individual Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Who goes to Counselling
Unit 8: Counselling for Alcohol Problems
- What are alcohol problems?
- What causes alcohol problems?
- Identifying alcohol problems
- When a client may seek counselling
- The aims of alcohol problems counselling
- Treatment strategies
- The therapeutic approach to treating alcohol problems
- The sessions
- Relapse prevention
Unit 9: Counselling for Substance Misuse
- What is substance abuse?
- What causes substance abuse
- Identifying substance abuse
- When a client may seek counselling
- The aims of substance abuse counselling
- Treatment approaches
- Tools of the counsellor
- The therapeutic process
- The sessions
- Other considerations for the substance abuse counsellor
- This course is assessed through a series of tutor marked assignments. There is no exam with this course.
- At the end of this course successful learners will receive a certificate of achievement by ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details all of the units you have completed as part of your course). The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing Ltd has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of difficulty involved in successful completion by the learner. The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing Ltd to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. ABC Awards’ endorsement involves a robust and rigorous quality audit by external inspectors to ensure quality is consistently met. A regular review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
- An ABC Awards Level 3 is roughly equivalent to a Level 5 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications, but is not an award on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
- Please note that there is a Eur60 fee payable for administration, moderation and certification.
- Click here for Accreditation Details