- Course Fee: Eur495
- Certification Fee: Eur60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by ABC Awards
- Students have 6 months to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This Forensic Psychology Course is designed for anyone interested in understanding the use of psychological principles, tools and techniques, to understand the behaviour of criminals and the value of psychology in the detection of crime. The course will enable learners to (1) to recognise how different research methods can help us research criminal behaviour, (2) understand current theory in relation to the committing of offences, (3) describe typical personality traits of offenders and how profiling can assist detection of crime, (4) examine witness testimony and the behaviour of witnesses in the courtroom, and (5) review the use of forensic psychology in the prevention of re-offending.
Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. You complete the course by undertaking activities and assignments. You will receive the course manual, assignments and study guide plus tutor support. Our student support team are also available for any other queries that you may have whilst completing your course. You can be assured that support is available for your course, so there is no need to struggle or feel isolated during your studies.
Who should complete this Forensic Psychology Course?
- Anyone who works in the Criminal Justice sector and wishes to gain an insight into the psychological processes related to criminal behaviour.
- Those working in law enforcement.
- Those working in the legal profession.
- Those working in offender care, rehabilitation and management.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- No previous experience or qualifications are necessary to commence the course.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Forensic Psychology Course
Unit 1: Introduction to forensic psychology
- History and development of forensic psychology
- Research design and methodology
- Critical evaluation of psychological research
Unit 2: Theories of offending
- Introduction to theories of offending
- Theories of aggression and violent offending
- Theories of child sexual offending
- Theories of sexual aggression
- Theories of fire-setting (arson) behaviour
Unit 3: Personal attributes of offenders
- Personality disordered offenders
- Psychopathic offenders
Unit 4: Forensic psychology in police investigations
- An introduction to offender profiling
- Approaches to offender profiling
- Diagnostic evaluations
- FBI Crime scene analysis
- Investigative psychology
- The effectiveness of offender profiling
Unit 5: Forensic psychology in the courtroom
- Eye-witness testimony
- Expert witness testimony
Unit 6: Forensic psychology in practice
- Forensic psychology in practice
- ‘What works’ literature in reducing re-offending
- Other roles of a forensic psychologist
- This course is assessed through a series of tutor-marked assignments.
- There is no exam for this course.
- At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course). The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner. The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards and Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process. ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high-quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
- An ABC Awards Level 3 is roughly equivalent to a Level 5 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for Accreditation Details
Student Reviews of this Course