- Course Fee: Eur595
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by ABC Awards
- Students have 9 months to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This programme is designed for people who wish to gain an understanding of the role of a counsellor and the basic skills required to become a counsellor. No prior knowledge is required. Students receive a course manual, assignments and study guide, plus tutor support. The course documentation for this ABC Awards accredited course is detailed and easy to read.
Students receive a course manual, assignments and study guide plus Tutor support. The course documentation for this ABC Awards accredited course is detailed and easy to read.
Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. You complete the course by undertaking activities and assignments. By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this course?
- People considering a career in Counselling.
- Parents, Teachers and Childcare workers.
- People who wish to gain an introduction to Counselling and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Course
Unit 1: The Basics of Counselling
- What is counselling
- Who is a Counsellor
- When is a Counsellor not ready to Council
- Who needs counselling
- Ten Steps to Counselling
Unit 2: Types of Counselling
- When a Counsellor is needed
- Types of counselling offered: Addiction, Anxiety, Depression, Divorce, Eating, Disorders, PMS, Sexual health, Stress
Unit 3: New Wave Counselling
- Online Counselling. Telephone Counselling. Telephone / Internet counselling. SMS text counselling. Video counselling. The Future
Unit 4: Traditional Counselling Styles
- What are the different Types of Traditional Counselling
- Individual Therapy. Couples Therapy. Family therapy. Group Therapy. Who goes to Counselling
Unit 5: Listening Skills
- Stages of listening
- Obstacles of Listening
- Emphatic Listening
- Listeners in Control
- Traps for Listeners
Unit 6: Negotiation
- Negotiation. The Establishment Group. The Community group. Negotiation with General
- The Joint Problem-Solving Approach: Definition of the Problem. Using Objective Criteria. Options for Mutual Gain. Separate the People from the Problem. Suggestions. Breaking the Rules. Alternatives
- Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement
Unit 7: Mediation
- What is Mediation When is Mediation called for
- Responsibilities. Preliminaries. The Introductory Phase. Problem Definitions.
- Respect the Parties’ Ability to reach a settlement
- Caucus Meetings. The Second session
- Attributes of a Good Mediator
Unit 8: Crisis Mediation
- Power imbalance
- The Power of skill and Knowledge
- A Summary of Factors Influencing the Balance of Power
- Analysis and Responses
- This course is assessed through a series of tutor marked assignments. There is no exam with this course.
- At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a certificate of achievement by ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details all of the units you have completed as part of your course). The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing Ltd has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of difficulty involved in successful completion by the learner. The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing Ltd to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. ABC Awards’ endorsement involves a robust and rigorous quality audit by external inspectors to ensure quality is consistently met. A regular review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
- An ABC Awards Level 3 is roughly equivalent to a Level 5 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications, but is not an award on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
- Please note that there is a Eur60 fee payable for administration, moderation and certification.
- Click here for Accreditation Details