Care Counselling for Children
- Course Fee: Eur395
- Certification Fee: Eur60 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by ABC Awards
- Students have 6 months to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
This Care Counselling Course is designed for people who wish to improve their skills or gain knowledge in child and youth counselling in specific areas of the care facilities. It will be helpful to anyone who is or who wishes to undertake any form of caring role, which involves children, and provides the skills to provide counselling for those in their care. The objectives of the course are: (1) to develop an understanding of the value of counselling in a variety of child-caring roles, (2) to understand a range of ethical and cultural issues related to counselling, (3) to develop the skills to offer counselling for those affected by substance misuse, child abuse, HIV/AIDS and grief, and (4) to develop a range of skills to be able to offer career and vocational guidance to children.
Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. You complete the course by undertaking activities and assignments. Our student support team are also available for any other queries that you may have whilst completing your course. You can be assured that support is available for your course, so there is no need to struggle or feel isolated during your studies.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Care Counselling Course?
- People considering a career in Counselling.
- Parents, Teachers and Childcare workers.
- People who wish to gain an introduction to Child Counselling and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Care Counselling Course
Unit 1: Introduction to care counselling
- What is counselling
- Characteristics of a good counsellor
- Types of counselling
- Three phases of counselling
Unit 2: Ethical and cultural issues in counselling
- The needs and rights of children
- The ethics of counselling with children
- Ethical decision-making process
Unit 3: Behavioural counselling
- Behavioural counselling
- Observing and listening to children
- Creating a positive environment
- Dealing with problem behaviour
Unit 4: Dealing with child abuse issues
- Types of abuse
- Child abuse and community standards
- Coping strategies
- Helping abused children cope
- ‘Children First’ guidelines
Unit 5: Dealing with substance abuse
- What is substance abuse?
- The effects of substance abuse on physical and emotional health
- The effects of substance abuse on our community and society
- Personal exploration
- Planning to prevent substance abuse
Unit 6: Counselling for the effects of HIV/AIDS
- What you need to know about HIV/AIDS
- Prevention of HIV/AIDS
- Working with HIV-infected children
- Strategies for counselling children and youths affected by AIDS
Unit 7: Grief Counselling
- The Grieving Process
- Children from birth to two years of age
- Children from 2-6 years of age
- Children from 6-9 years of age
- Children from 9-12 years
- Adolescent children from 13-18 years old
- Some ways to help children talk about grief
- Unresolved and complicated grief
- Resolving grief: the positive effects
Unit 8: Career and Vocational Counselling
- Career possibilities
- Helping youth explore possible careers
- Recognising the talents of children and youths
- Planning a career programme
- Preparing a Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- How to prepare for an interview
- Supporting youths in pursuing further education or training
- Job application activities
- This course is assessed through a series of tutor-marked assignments. There is no exam for this course.
- Internet connection – a speed of at least 10Mbps.
- Browser – we recommend Chrome or Safari for Tablet or Apple Mac; and Firefox or Chrome for PCs.
- Operating System – PC (Windows 7 or later), Mac or Android.
- At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course). The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner. The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards and Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process. ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high-quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
- An ABC Awards Level 2 is roughly equivalent to a Level 4 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for Accreditation Details