QQI Level 6 Childcare Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE)
- Course Fee: €895 or pay €138 over 8 months (call for details 01-2865783)
- Certification Fee: €120 (fee to cover accreditation body’s certification costs and administration)
- QQI Level 6 Childcare: Major Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education (6M2007)
- eLearning course with Tutor Support accredited by QQI
- Students have 10 months to work at their own pace and can start at any time of year
- Click here to Enrol for this course online now
- Click here to Request a Prospectus
CMIT is offering Childcare staff an opportunity to pursue the Level 6 Childcare Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education. This major award meets the educational requirements as set out in the ECCE scheme. The course has been designed to equip all staff with the recognised qualification and full accreditation within a 10-month duration. In a climate where time is precious, CMIT is offering an innovative approach to learning. The CMIT eLearning system enables learners to work at their own pace while being fully supported by a qualified Tutor.
There is a qualified Childcare Tutor assigned to all students to provide guidance and assistance throughout the course and written personalised feedback is provided on all assessment work.
By choosing to study childcare courses with CMIT, students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes comprehensive Course Manuals, Live Webinars, Videos, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course is very user-friendly and easy to follow. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive Tutor feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access. You do not have to complete the QQI Childcare Level 5 childcare courses to enrol in this course.
About the Early Childhood Scheme
(ECCE) is a government-funded initiative offering a free pre-school year in an early education centre. Part of the requirements of the scheme stipulates that Childcare Leaders and employees must hold certain childcare courses in order to qualify for the scheme. The certification offered by this course fully meets the educational requirements for childcare staff who need to comply with the requirements of the ECCE Free Preschool Scheme. You do not have to complete the QQI Childcare QQI Level 5 to enrol in this course. You will need to hold a level 6 Major Award (or equivalent childcare courses) in order to be a Room Leader. You may be held back from taking job opportunities if you do not complete the Level 6 award. In addition, if you complete the Level 5 Major Award, your employer may still require you to also complete the Level 6 Major Award at a later date.
How CMIT eLearning Works…
Topics covered in this Level 6 Childcare course
Component 1: Supervision in Early Childhood Care
- Personal development
- Supervisory management
- Organisational skills
- Leading a childcare team
Component 2: Team Leadership
- Understanding organisations
- Building effective relationships
- Motivating, developing and empowering
- Performance management
Component 3: Work Experience
- Completion of work experience diary and reflection
Component 4: Childhood, Social Legal and Health Studies
- Overview of the childcare sector
- Social policy and legislation
- Child protection
- Equality in childcare
Component 5: Equality and Diversity in Childcare
- Developing an equality plan
- Personal development as a childcare practitioner
Component 6: Early Childhood Curriculum
- Overview of childhood education
- Features of effective childhood programmes
- Programme development and implementation
- Planning and evaluation
Component 7: Child Psychology
- Key concepts in child psychology
- Social and emotional development
- Learning, language, intelligence and morality
- Child observation studies
Component 8: Child Development
- The physical child
- The thinking child
- The social and emotional child
- Child observation studies
Who should complete this course?
- All Childcare Staff, Managers and Supervisors who wish to meet the educational childcare courses requirements of the ECCE scheme. You do not have to complete the QQI Level 5 childcare award to enrol in this course.
- Childcare Staff who wish to gain an accredited qualification in childcare or those aiming to progress to supervisory and management roles.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert (or equivalent) or a QQI (or equivalent) Level 5 major award in any area (certificates must be provided). You do not have to complete the QQI Level 5 childcare award to enrol in this course.
- Applicants must currently be working, or on work experience, in the childcare sector for a minimum of 6 hours per week for the duration of the course.
- Childminders must have access to an ECCE setting to complete some assessments.
- Participation in live online classes/webinars. These are held on Thursday evenings from 7 pm to 9 pm. For a complete schedule contact the college.
- It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a qualifying QQI award or any childcare award, please contact us with your details, and we will advise you of available exemptions.
- Some assessments require completion of work, which must be evaluated by a suitably qualified supervisor or manager.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland.
- For technical requirements required to access CMIT eLearning click here>
- For more details on the suitability of this course click here>
- This Level 6 Childcare course is assessed through completion of project work, assignments and personal learner records which record your personal experience of supervision in a childcare context. There is one exam with this course. All work submitted must be your own work.
- As part of our quality assurance, assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Level 6 Childcare course is listed on the Higher Education Links Scheme, and, on successful completion, may be used to obtain access to a course at a higher level (e.g Level 7 or 8 on the National Framework). For more details contact us.
Protection for Enrolled Learners
- As this course is of 3 months duration or longer, learners who enrol on this course are protected under the Qualifications And Quality Assurance (Education And Training) Act 2012.
- CMIT has approval to offer students learner protection insurance. Learner Protection insurance is only in place when each student receives their Insurance Policy. Each learner should ensure that they receive a Learner Protection Insurance Policy in their name. Learner Protection insurance is provided by Arachas and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC. The learner protection policy provides for a refund of fees as specified in the 2012 Act. In some circumstances, it may be possible for a learner to transfer to a similar programme in another provider. In such circumstances, the learner may opt to receive the cost of an alternative similar academic programme. Transfer to another programme is always only a second option. The learner protection insurance policy is governed by s. 65(4)(b) of the 2012 Act.’
- More information.
- Following successful completion of all required modules, you will receive a QQI Level 6 Major Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education (ref. 6M2007)
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.
- Click here for Accreditation Details