11 February, 2013
Certificate in Counselling
This programme is designed for people who wish to gain an understanding of the role of a counsellor and the basic skills required to become a counsellor. No prior knowledge is required. Students receive a course manual, assignments and studyguide, plus tutor support. The course documentation for this NCFE accredited course is detailed and easy to read.
Students receive a course manual, assignments and studyguide plus Tutor support. The course documentation for this NCFE accredited course is detailed and easy to read.
Your Tutor will support you throughout the duration of the course. You complete the course by undertaking activities and assignments. By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24x7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Click here for an overview of CMIT eLearning
Who should complete this course?
Topics Covered in this Course
Unit 1: The Basics of Counselling
Unit 2: Types of Counselling
- What is counselling
- Who is a Counsellor
- When is a Counsellor not ready to Council
- Who needs counselling
- Ten Steps to Counselling
Unit 3: New Wave Counselling
- When a Counsellor is needed
- Types of counselling offered: Addiction, Anxiety, Depression, Divorce, Eating, Disorders, PMS, Sexual health, Stress
Unit 4: Traditional Counselling Styles
- On-line Counselling. Telephone Counselling. Telephone / Internet counselling. SMS text counselling. Video counselling. The Future
Unit 5: Listening Skills
- What are the different Types of Traditional Counselling
- Individual Therapy. Couples Therapy. Family therapy. Group Therapy. Who goes to Counselling
Unit 6: Negotiation
- Stages of listening
- Obstacles of Listening
- Emphatic Listening
- Listeners in Control
- Traps for Listeners
Unit 7: Mediation
- Negotiation. The Establishment Group. The Community group. Negotiation in General
- The Joint Problem-Solving Approach: Definition of the Problem. Using Objective Criteria. Options for Mutual Gain. Separate the People from the Problem. Suggestions. Breaking the Rules. Alternatives
- Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement
Unit 8: Crisis Mediation
- What is Mediation When is Mediation called for
- Responsibilities. Preliminaries. The Introductory Phase. Problem Definitions.
- Respect the Parties' Ability to reach a settlement
- Caucus Meetings. The Second session
- Attributes of a Good Mediator
- Power imbalance
- The Power of skill and Knowledge
- A Summary of Factors Influencing the Balance of Power
- Analysis and Responses
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- People considering a career in Counselling.
- Parents, Teachers and Childcare workers.
- People who wish to gain a professional, accredited qualification in Counselling and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
- This course is assessed through a series of tutor
marked assignments. There is no exam with this course.
- At the end of this course successful learners will be awarded a certificate of achievement by NCFE. This course has been accredited under NCFE IIQ Licence by Kendal Publishing Limited which has been approved as an NCFE Investing in Quality (IIQ) centre to give formal recognition to our courses. We have designed our training courses specifically to meet the needs of learners who prefer to study from home. The course measurable learning outcomes have been benchmarked at Level 3 (using Ofqual’s Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF) level descriptors) to allow you to consider the depth of study, difficulty, and level of achievement involved.
- A NCFE Level 3 is roughly equivalent to a Level 5 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for Accreditation Details
- Please note that there is a EUR60 fee payable for administration, moderation and certification.